Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A Great American Holiday: The Super Bowl

We had become pretty close with a couple of Canadians at the hostel, so we thought we'd share with them the most holy of American days: The Super Bowl. We took a cab to the Marriot hotel that had a bar inside which was playing the game. We sat down and hung out for a while when a man came over and asked if we wanted to join in his betting pool. $5 a bet, so I took 4 bets. Many other people from the hostel came and we ordered these large towers of beer that held 3 liters a piece. We watched the game, by half time I missed winning $120 by seconds. I Quickly healed from the pain of losing by the sweet sweet jams of the half time show: Bruce "the boss" Springstene. Not really enjoying the game I took one of the canadians for a walk, by the time we had got back I had $120, and I promised that all money that was made would go towards all the beer we were drinking. By the end of the game we we had drank 12 towers of beer, at 3 liters a tower, we had drank 36 liters of beer. Our bill was mighty, and all that I had made had gone to the fund. We then continued to a friends apartment, hung for a while, then continued on our journey. That same day Panama had beaten Costa Rica (rivals) at real football (soccer). So our friends brought us to a road where all the locals go to celebrate when their team wins. It was about 2 miles of stationary cars with people blasting music, dancing, and going insane. Just guessing, but I would say there were around 100,000 people on the street. Went back to the hostel and went to bed. The next day we went to the canal which was rather borring. I'm not really sure what I was expecting, but when we got there I realized all it was was a canal. Suck. Back to hostel, the canadians were leaving for Cuba, so we said our goodbyes. We've become really close with the people that work at the hostel so we've been hanging around a lot until our ship come to bring us to Columbia ..... which is tomorrow. Dean and I have stocked up on pirate attire for the trip.

1 comment:

  1. You took a Canadian for a walk?! Did you use a leash, too? ;o)

    Lovvvvvvve you, sir.

    ReplyDelete