Tuesday, February 24, 2009

To the center of the Earth and beyond!

Our first taste of Colombia wasn't the greatest but it wasn't bad. Medellin was the first city to change that. We saw many amazing things, had action packed nights, and met so many interesting people that it made it hard not to fall instantly in love with the city, and the country. One of the Canadians that we had met was flying out of Bogota in a couple of days so I was going to see if I could make it to see her before she went back to the cold cold north. Convincing Dean and Bob to leave Medellin was like pulling teeth off a grizzly bear! But being me, very persuasive, got them on a bus and we were off. The bus was extremely cozy, and I was very tired, so I slept all through the ride. Arrived in Bogota, didn't get to see my dear Canadian friend, got a hold of a girl that said she would host us, her name is Sofi. Sofi is a very beautiful Colombian girl that I spent many hours in conversation with. She lived with her parents and her brother that we're amazing hosts, and took care of us like we were family! Bob, Dean, and I would spend the days wondering around town going to art galleries and learning a lot about the history of Colombia. We usually spent the nights hanging out with Sofi, and her various friends, who were quite interesting. Two major highlights of our stay were:
1) A two hour exhausting hike up to a church on top of the hill with breathtakingly beautiful views of Bogota.
2) When Sofi took us to large salt caverns that they had turned in to a giant church. It must have been over 2 miles of caves we went through.

It broke my heart to leave Bogota for many reasons, mostly because I had became very close to Sofi, and her mother was an amazing cook that was trying to make us fat. But as they say 'The show must go on'. So we caught a plane to Quito, Ecuador, where we now are residing. The first day here we were walking around trying to find a super market, with no luck we turned around, on our way back to our hostel a guy ran up, picked up bob (with dean and I standing there), reached in his pockets, grabbed as much as he could, turned around and made the other way. Bob either being really smart, or extremely homely had nothing in that pocket but a pen, scarf, and some unimportant papers.

We have planed a trip into the heart of the Amazon jungle where we plan to find ourselves ..... Or large animals that want us for dinner. I know I don't post on here too often, but if you don't see anything from me in the next month, it's probably best to assume I was kidnapped by a band of monkeys .... most likely with knives. Saving us will be futile since monkeys care of nothing, and America doesn't nagotiate with terriost who eat bananas, and throw their own poo.

No comments:

Post a Comment