Sunday, March 1, 2009

Welcome to the Jungle ...

Ecuador prides itself with having 3 very distinct terrins. It´s costal region that lines the Pacific, it´s mountain region that are the Andes, and it´s rain forest known only as the Amazon. Quito lands dead center in the Andes, so for us to get to the Amazon we had to take an 8 hour bus ride to a small oil town called Largo. Largo isn´t quite the Amazon, so we then took a 2 hour jeep ride to the Amazon River. Since we traveled so far we didn´t want to come all that way to sit right on the edge of the Amazon, so we took a 2 hour boat ride into the jungle. We came to an area that was cleared out, and had huts; this is where we would stay. There we met 3 extremely gorgeous Argentinian women, a very talented American musicial named Colin (Check out his music at www.colinnewcomer.com), and a man from Spain who only spoke spanish, but even with this language barrier we became very close. We had spent the next couple of days as a group doing many various activities like: Piranha Fishing, swimming, hiking, and anaconda searching. On the third day we took a 2 hour boat to a local village where we learned how to make bread out of root. After this we went an hour further down the Amazon to the local Shaman. He showed us around his hut, and about the many plants he used to make his medicines. He showed us one of his healing ceremonies, and asked us if we wanted to partake in Ayahuasca. Ayahuasca is a hallucinagine made from the Banisteriopsis vine that once taken is supposed to help you find yourself spiritually and Purge your body (Aka: Throw up). Never really knowning who or where I am I said I would give it a spin, I was also joined by Bob, Dean, and the man from Spain. We didn´t drink it there, insted we thought it a better idea to take our boat back to our huts and do it far from water. He perparred this sacred drink in 2 used coca cola bottles, blessed them, and we were on our way. We all sat in hammocks and poured out a half glass each to start. The taste was horrible, and I was almost convinced that it was just Amazon water since I didn´t feel any of the effects for almost a half hour. Since the effects were taking so long, Bob, Dean, and I took another half glass. No more then thirty seconds later it hit me like Barry Bonds, and I was far left field. Bob was immediately docile, and Dean and I sat back and spoke of the Cozmos. After about thirty mintues Bob decided he was going to go lay down in our hut, Dean and I continued our conversation. Thirty more minutes later I felt the purging coming and headed to our hut. I layed down in the bed next to Bob´s and we started talking. Only a little time went by when all of a sudden Dean ran straight from the entrance to the bathroom and began purging. This reminded me of how I needed to, I quickly got up, ran to the bathroom, Dean had taken the toilet, so I turned to the shower, and we shared a purging moment. Although the taste was just as bad coming up the after glow was amazing. I felt on top of the world, but very hungry. The night came to a close, and we went to bed. The next day we began our trip back to Quito. 2 hour by boat, 2 hours jeep, 8 hours bus, and we were back. We got to a hostel and crashed instantly.

Tomorrow we fly to Santigo, Chile. Chile is said to be the "most advanced" South American country. We´ve also heard it has no poisoness insects or animals. Hopefully both of these are true, I´m very tired of always fearing for my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment